This Easy Vegan Matcha Buttercream Frosting is the perfect creamy frosting to add to any gluten free dessert! It’s the ideal blend of vegan cream cheese and delicious matcha.
Easy Vegan Matcha Buttercream
Good morning lovelies! I’m coming at you with a rich and creamy vegan buttercream recipe today that is sure to knock your socks off! I’m no dessert expert, but I am quite certain that there’s not a cake alive out there that isn’t hoping to meet a matcha buttercream and fall in love. Indeed, if there was a Bachelor show for desserts, matcha buttercream would easily be the final rose recipient. It’s that wonderful.
What is Matcha?
Matcha is a green tea that is processed into a fine powder and used to make a green drink in either water or milk. I have an iced matcha on the blog but I can’t say I’m a big matcha fan like most people out there. I’m such a coffee girl that I just never choose tea–what can I say? (And there’s the fact that I was a bit traumatized by my first job in a tea shop. But I digress.)
Anyways, I’m also not a huge fan of frosting (I sound like a real grinch, I know, bear with me) so I liked the idea of mixing a bit of matcha in to offset the sweetness of the buttercream. And guys…now I like both matcha AND frosting! But apparently only if you put them together, spread them on a triple layer cake and then feed me all three layers.
Ingredients for Vegan Matcha Buttercream
- Palm shortening (or vegan butter): this takes the place of butter
- Paleo/vegan cream cheese: I use Kite Hill, but any dairy free cream cheese will do!
- Vanilla extract
- Grain-free powdered sugar: I use Trader Joes which is corn-free!
- Culinary Matcha: there are so many kinds to choose from! Matcha Love is a great option.
- Coconut milk or milk of choice: this helps thin the frosting just a tad to make it nice and creamy
Tips for making Easy Vegan Matcha Buttercream
- Don’t melt your palm shortening, but make sure your cream cheese is room temp for optimal fluff!
- Things link powdered sugar can be tough to get exact when measuring, so I always start with less and add more if needed to thicken.
- Add matcha to only half of the buttercream if you want to make a swirl like I did!
- Add a little extra coconut milk if needed to thin the frosting.
Easy Vegan Matcha Buttercream
This Easy Vegan Matcha Buttercream is the perfect creamy frosting to add to any gluten free dessert! It's the ideal blend of vegan cream cheese and delicious matcha.
- 1/3 cup palm shortening
- 1/3 cup paleo/vegan cream cheese I use Kite Hill
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2-2 cups grain-free powdered sugar I use Trader Joes with is corn-free!
- 1 tbsp Culinary matcha
- 2-4 tbsp coconut milk or milk of choice
Add palm shortening and cream cheese to a large mixing bowl and beat with on high for 1-2 minutes to make it fluffy.
Add in vanilla, 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, and 2 tbsp milk and beat to combine, starting from a low speed and then increasing speed. Beat for about 2 minutes, and then add remaining powdered sugar and beat again if needed to thicken
Add matcha 1 tsp at a time and beat again. You may want to beat the matcha into half of the batter to create a swirl effect like I did. I frosted my cake first with the plain frosting, and then added the matcha frosting in a few places and lightly blended with an offset spatula.
Frosting will stay good in the fridge for 4-5 days if covered.