This healthy Cinnamon Swirl Bread is a gluten free, nut-free bread with a rich cinnamon swirl in the middle. Like a cinnamon roll but in a healthy, gluten-free loaf!
Healthy Cinnamon Swirl Bread (gluten-free)
Cinnamon is, like, my kryptonite. Put cinnamon in the food and I will devour all of it faster than my dog devours food when I drop it on the floor. Cinnamon rolls are my favorite food from my gluten-filled past (after pizza, obvs.) But I don’t often enjoy food that I know isn’t healthy for me, so I wanted to take all of that cinnamon roll nostalgia and put it in a gluten-free loaf of bread that’s healthy enough to make for breakfast.
This is definitely my favorite paleo bread recipe thus far. I’m not gonna lie–I devoured two of these loaves by myself. And that’s coming from a girl who pretty much never eats baked goods. Something about the cinnamon swirl in each bite and the tiny chopped apples just makes me forget that I’m a meat and vegetable girl and makes me want to live on this cinnamon bread for the rest of my life.
Extra ways to Enjoy Gluten Free Cinnamon Swirl Bread
This bread is hot stuff all on it’s own, but there are some awesome ways to take it to the next level:
- Make Cinnamon French Toast
- Toast it and cover it in butter
- Make my Apple Butter French Toast Bake
- Slather with all the nut butter you can and then top with apple slices
What you need to make Healthy Cinnamon Swirl Bread (gluten free):
- Cassava flour–This is key to a gluten-like texture
- Tapioca Starch or Arrowroot Flour – I like adding a bit of this in my dry ingredients to add chew to the texture
- Organic cane sugar or coconut sugar
- Cream of tartar – this helps make up for the lack of baking powder
- Baking soda
- Avocado oil – I’ve used coconut oil and they still come out well, but I prefer this texture
- Honey – adds moisture and sweetness
- Eggs – duh
- Cinnamon – wouldn’t be cinnamon swirl without it
- chopped apple– you don’t notice it too much in the batter, but I love how it compliments the cinnamon!
- Full fat coconut milk, or another non-dairy milk
Tips for making Paleo Cinnamon Swirl Bread:
Use room temperature eggs, as well as the rest of your ingredients.
Beat your sugar and eggs well before adding in the rest of the ingredients
Swirl the batter well at the end, but don’t overmix
- Remember to line your baking dish with parchment paper!
Gluten Free Cinnamon Swirl Bread
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cups organic cane sugar
- 3/4 cups avocado oil
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cup cassava flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup apple finely diced
For cinnamon swirl:
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a 9x5 loaf pan with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, beat together eggs, honey, and sugar with a mixer until the sugar is well dissolved. Add avocado oil and coconut milk and beat well for another 2 minutes, then stir in vanilla, cream of tartar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add cassava flour and tapioca starch into the wet ingredients and stir well to combine, then fold in the apple.
Mix together filling ingredients (they'll be somewhat crumbly.)
Pour about 1/3 of the batter into the prepared pan and then add in about half of the filling mixture over top. Repeat again with a layer of batter and then a thin layer of filling, then top with the remaining batter.
Use a thin knife to make a few swirls in the batter.
Place in the preheated oven to bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool for 10 minutes and then remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.