These vegan & paleo tahini chocolate chip cookies need only one bowl with just a few gluten free ingredients. They’re so thick and chewy you won’t believe they’re egg-free, nut-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, paleo, and plant-based!
Perfectly Chewy Paleo and Vegan Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies
These paleo and vegan chocolate chip cookies are a nut-free twist on my Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies that I usually make with almond flour. Since doing the AIP diet last years I’ve found I do much better without nuts in my life, and honestly don’t love baking with them as much as I thought I did. I’ve been cooking with cassava flour and adding in fun ingredients like tahini and I find I really like this better!
I had a strong craving for some chocolate chip cookies on the 4th of July and decided it was time to try to make a new recipe without nuts in it. I had some cassava flour, some tahini, and a bag of Hu Kitchen Chocolate Gems (the best paleo chocolate out there) and so I got to work. The results? The perfect chewy Paleo and Vegan Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies that come together in a little over 30 minutes.
Why put tahini in your chocolate chip cookies?
Where do I begin? You’ve probably heard me wax eloquent on tahini before because I basically put it in everything, but it’s truly my favorite ingredient. It’s perfect with pretty much every sweet or savory item, from hummus to carrots to coffee or cookie bars. It’s grown up peanut butter and it’s simply amazing. When you put it in your cookies a magical thing happens–they take on a thick, chewy texture somewhere between a peanut butter cookie and a crispy chocolate chips cookie. Buttery, soft, chewy, and crisp on the edges. I’m literally drooling.
Small-Batch Vegan Gluten-Free Tahini Cookies
This recipe makes about 12 cookies, which to me is the perfect amount for a fun weekend treat or a gift for a new neighbor. You can cut it in half if you want less, or double it to make a big batch to share! We’re flexible here.
How to make the perfect Paleo and Vegan Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies:
These one-bowl chocolate chip cookies are quick and easy to whip up! You’ll just need to mix together your ingredients, chill them for 15-20 minutes, then bake at 350 F for about 10 minutes. That’s it! Here’s what you’ll need to make it all happen (Yes, it’s only 10 ingredients!)
- Tahini: Look for a creamy and slightly nutty tahini (not a cheap, dry one.) Trader Joes is a great place to get good tahini!
- Coconut Oil: You can also use ghee, but I have not tested other oils in this recipe
- Coconut sugar: this is a lower inflammatory sweetener that I use in all of my paleo baking. Can be subbed for regular sugar if needed.
- Honey: You can sub maple syrup or agave to make these vegan.
- Vanilla: Don’t forget vanilla! It adds so much to cookies.
- Baking Soda
- Cassava flour: This is key to a gluten-like texture
- Coconut Flour: I find this binds and gives a teeny bit of fluff to the texture of the cookies
- Chocolate Chips: Use Hu chocolate gems for dairy-free! I lightly chop them to get smaller chunks
- Flakey Salt: good fancy sea salt is a must on these cookies!
Tips for the best Paleo Cookies:
These cookies are hard to mess up, but here’s a few tips to help make the chewiest, best cookies:
- Remember to line your baking dish with parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- Give your cookies a bit of time to chill in the fridge before baking–it make a chewier cookie!
- Don’t overmix you batter!
- Don’t overbake your cookies–always aim to underbake! Plus, these are vegan cookies so there’s no raw egg to be squeamish about.
- Let your cookies rest on the baking sheet for a few minutes before moving to a cooling rack
More grain-free cassava flour treats:
Vegan & Paleo Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies
These vegan & paleo tahini chocolate chip cookies need only one bowl with just a few gluten free ingredients. They're so thick and chewy you won’t believe they’re egg-free, nut-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, paleo, and plant-based!
- ½ cup tahini
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons Coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cassava flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/2 cup Hu Kitchen chocolate gems
- flaky salt for sprinkling
In a medium bowl, stir together the tahini, honey, coconut sugar, coconut oil, and vanilla until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes.
Stir in baking soda, then cassava flour and coconut flour. Fold in chocolate chips, then place the dough in the fridge to chill for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350 F.
Scoop 1-inch balls of the cookie dough and place about 2-3 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheet, Sprinkle a bit of sea salt over the top of each cookie.
Bake until slightly golden but not overbaked, about 10 minutes.
Remove the cookies and let cool for 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack. Enjoy!