These healthy Paleo Zucchini Muffins are made with cassava flour for a nut-free muffin and the perfect paleo crumb! A delicious paleo snack with coffee. Don’t be thrown off by the zucchini though–you can’t taste it at all!
Paleo Zucchini Muffins (Nut Free)
What you need to make Paleo Zucchini Muffins
- Cassava flour: this is my favorite gluten free flour! You can find it in most stores now.
- Coconut Flour: I find this helps my cassava flour go further and gives a tighter crumb to baked goods.
- Tapioca Starch: These gives a nice flakey touch to the muffin texture.
- Coconut sugar: a lower inflammatory sugar option that I use in most of my baking.
- Baking soda: for that fluff factor.
- Coconut oil: I’ve used coconut oil and avocado oil to make these–both are good options!
- Egg: Remember to use room temp eggs for best results!
- Full fat coconut milk, or another non-dairy milk such as almond milk
- Zucchini: shredded and squeezed
Tips for the best grain-free zucchini muffins:
The best thing about these nut free zucchini muffins is how easy they are. One thing to keep in mind is that the batter will be a tad thick to make up for the moisture added by the zucchini, so don’t be tempted to water it down if it seems thick. Here are a few things to keep in mind while you’re baking:
- Remember to squeeze the moisture out of your zucchini! Otherwise, you’ll end up with soggy muffins.
- I like to beat my egg and sugar with a hand mixer to help the sugar granules to dissolve.
- Lightly fold your zucchini in for the best results.
- Use parchment baking cups to avoid soggy muffins.
How many gluten-free muffins does this make?
This is a small batch that makes 6-7 medium sized zucchini muffins, but you can easily double this if you want to go all in! I also have a Paleo Zucchini Loaf recipe if you want to try this in bread form.
Paleo Zucchini Muffins
- 3/4 cup cassava flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup shredded zucchini squeezed to remove moisture
Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a muffin tray with 6 cupcake liners
Sift together cassava flour, coconut flour, tapioca starch, baking soda, and salt.
In a separate bowl beat egg and sugar with an electric mixer until well creamed. Add avocado oil and continue to beat well, about 1 minutes. Stir in cream of tartar, vanilla, and coconut milk.
Make a well in the dry ingredients and add in the wet, mixing well. Fold in the zucchini
Spoon the batter into the muffin tins about 3/4 of the way full.
Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.